Trillium Health Partners is the largest community-based academic health network in Ontario serving over 1.5 million residents of the communities of Mississauga, Peel Region, and west Toronto. The hospital encompasses three main sites—the Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital, and Queensway Health Centre—and offers a full range of acute care hospital services, as well as being the designated regional care centre for several programs including paediatrics, cardiac, renal, and cancer care.
Working with donors, Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF) raises the critical funds needed to address the highest priority needs of Trillium Health Partners, specifically in the areas of building and revitalizing patient spaces; equipment and technology; and research, education, and innovation.
Our Foundation was formed in 2013 through the voluntary amalgamation of two exceptional foundations: the Credit Valley Hospital Foundation and Trillium Health Centre Foundation. Raising more than $30 million a year, Trillium Health Partners Foundation is now strategically poised to drive further success as one of the highest performing hospital foundations in the country, in the service of enabling our hospital group to continue to redefine health care as a provincial and national leader.
Together, our amalgamated team works toward inspiring others to invest in a new kind of health care for a healthier community, while embodying the values of our team-created ‘ICARE’ philosophy: Inspiration, Courage, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence.
The Associate Copywriter is a full-time, permanent position to support the newly created Editorial Services Department within the Strategy and Community Engagement team at Trillium Health Partners Foundation.
The Associate Copywriter will assist the Manager, Strategic Communications, in the timely and high quality execution of print and digital collateral in support of fundraising initiatives across the organization. The successful candidate will have a wide-range of writing, editing, and proofreading experience in a related professional context. Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, time/project management, and interviewing skills are required.
The Associate Copywriter will be an independent self-starter, problem solver, and enthusiastic collaborator, always striving to improve and fostering an “even better if . . .” attitude. The successful candidate will work with various Foundation teams and hospital representatives to process hospital information updates and develop compelling content to support the Foundation’s revenue generation strategies.
The incumbent will thrive with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment, be open to change, deal effectively with ambiguity, and be excited to contribute to an evolving organization with creativity, innovation, inspiration, and an entrepreneurial approach.
- Research, develop, fact-check, and write effective and persuasive long and short-form copy for print and digital venues on complex topics for diverse audiences.
(Copywriting may include website copy, e-news copy, letters, stories, digital marketing collateral, impact and annual reports, executive/physician speaking notes, profiles, marketing communications, infographics, scripts, advertisements, brochures, sell-sheets, among others as assigned).
- Translate complex knowledge, explain advanced treatment procedures and technologies, and describe advanced technological equipment in clear and concise copy for various collateral and recipients.
- Learn, apply, and improve the fundamentals of copywriting for audience, genre, and media.
- Ability to adhere to a writing brief’s requirements and obtain relevant information.
Process Support (20%)
The incumbent will collaborate with the Manager, Strategic Communications, in the development of editorial and writing processes to support revenue-generating initiatives for all departments organization-wide, including:
- Maintain a copywriting calendar and curate and archive information and documents by medical area.
- Liaise with a broad range of hospital and Foundation staff and stakeholders to ensure efficient processes and effective messaging.
- Collaborate to establish editorial guidelines, a house style guide, writing-brief intake forms, and internal communications collateral.
- Attend/audit hospital and related health care meetings, workshops, and events as assigned to obtain information/knowledge for written materials.
- Obtain, organize, and incorporate stakeholder feedback and edits for final approval.
- Stay engaged and current with health care topics and news of relevance to the greater Toronto area.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills. (Select candidates will be invited to submit a portfolio of written work as well as perform a written exercise).
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a busy environment managing multiple projects, shifting priorities, and tight deadlines.
- Proficient at obtaining supporting information/research/data that is credible, verifiable, and meaningful.
- Strong organizational and project management skills with a strong personal commitment to excellence.
- Demonstrated creativity with a strong ability to generate and pitch story ideas and angles.
- A perceptive observer, curious interviewer, and natural storyteller with a journalistic instinct for ‘the story.’
- Flexible and adaptable team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly professional and articulate with sensitivity, discretion, and an appropriate demeanour.
- An inspired professional driven to make an impact with their work and who always remembers that a sense of humour never hurt anyone.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Excel, and Word in particular).
- Donor/Client database experience (Raiser’s Edge is an asset).
- InCopy experience preferred.
- Basic familiarity with layout processes and graphic design elements are assets.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- University degree in communications, journalism, marketing, English, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience writing in a professional environment (any combination of agency, health care sector, and/or fundraising experience is highly desirable).
- Willingness to work flexible hours—some after-hours work may be required.
- Work may take place across the multiple sites of Trillium Health Partners and Trillium Health Partners Foundation.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle an asset.
Please email your cover letter, résumé, and three writing samples as a single PDF to Tim Jacobs, Manager, Strategic Communications, at email@example.com by 4:00 PM on Friday, May 18, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.