Position Title: Senior Associate Copywriter, Contract
Reports To: Associate Director, Strategic Communications
Status: Temporary Full Time (6 month contract)
Work Location: Trillium Health Partners Foundation office at 89 The Queensway West, Mississauga, with occasional work at Credit Valley Hospital and Queensway Health Centre sites.
Post Date: Thursday August 20, 2020
Closing: Friday September 4, 2020
Are you motivated by the opportunity to be part of a movement to create a new kind of health care in Mississauga, Peel Region and west Toronto? Have you demonstrated success as a writer producing fundraising materials that speak to the mind and the heart? Are you eager to contribute to a dynamic team passionate about creating a work environment that is inspiring, productive and fun? If so, please read on to learn more about this exciting contract opportunity at Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF).
Trillium Health Partners (THP) is one of the largest community-based hospital systems in Canada. Comprised of Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital and Queensway Health Centre, Trillium Health Partners serves the growing and diverse populations of Mississauga, west Toronto and surrounding communities and is a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto. Last year, THP received over 1.7 million patient visits and, over the next 20 years, no other hospital in Ontario will face more growth in demand.
Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF) raises the critical funds needed to address the highest priority needs of Trillium Health Partners. THPF is a team of over 30 professionals that strategically drive success as one of the highest performing hospital foundations in the country. Having raised more than $38 million last year, our organization is positioned for growth and in the planning stages of a large-scale comprehensive campaign. This will be our community’s largest hospital building project and health care fundraising campaign to date.
Join our team and help us inspire investment in a new kind of health care for a healthier community!
The Senior Associate Copywriter is a six-month contract position with the Strategic Communications team within the Marketing & Community Engagement Department at Trillium Health Partners Foundation. Reporting to the Associate Director, Strategic Communications, the Senior Associate Copywriter is a gifted storyteller with a love of language, comfortable writing a broad range of donor-facing materials to support the cause of the hospital. Working with the various Foundation teams to drive revenue and keep donors informed, writing tasks include high-quality proposals, stewardship reports, one-pagers, speaking notes and more, and mass marketing support such as ad and event copy, emails and other miscellaneous writing. The successful candidate will have a wide-range of writing, editing, proofreading and project management experience, including working in partnership with a graphic designer to establish creative direction. Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in a hospital foundation, health-related charity or another health care or non-profit context.
- Research and write effective, persuasive and accurate long and short-form copy on complex topics for diverse audiences as needed. Includes proposals, patient stories, website copy, e-news copy, letters, stories, digital marketing collateral, impact and annual reports, speaking notes, profiles, brochures, sell-sheets and more. Will work in partnership with the in-house designer on pieces presented in designed format such as proposals, brochures and stewardship reports.
- Work closely with Foundation team members to understand their audience and refine communications objectives to achieve fundraising goals and support donor retention.
- Become a subject expert on the hospital and its programs, adding to the Foundation database of current information. Apply this knowledge to identify new opportunities to tell the story of THP or to engage the support of current or potential donors.
- Foster productive relationships with hospital staff to understand and articulate the mission of the hospital, its fundraising priorities and the impact of donor support, secure information as needed and facilitate fact checking.
- Stay engaged and current with hospital updates, health care topics and news of relevance to the greater Toronto area.
- University degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience writing in a professional environment. Preference given to experience in a hospital foundation, but any combination of health care sector, fundraising, journalism and/or agency work will be considered.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills. (Select candidates will be asked to submit a portfolio of written work as well as perform a written exercise).
- A natural storyteller with strong interviewing skills who is comfortable with Foundation and hospital executives, physicians, donors and patients.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a busy environment managing multiple projects, shifting priorities, and tight deadlines.
- Proficient at obtaining supporting information/research/data that is accurate, verifiable, and meaningful, within the hospital, health sector and more broadly.
- Strong organizational and project management skills with a strong personal commitment to excellence.
- Flexible and adaptable team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humour
- Highly professional and articulate with sensitivity, discretion and an appropriate demeanour.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Excel and Word in particular).
- Donor/Client database experience (Raiser’s Edge is an asset).
- Basic ability with InDesign or other graphic design programs desirable.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and to tight deadlines as needed, prioritizing tasks with the associate director—some after-hours work may be required.
- May work remotely with occasional need to work from the Foundation office and across the multiple sites of Trillium Health Partners.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle an asset.
- When applying please submit your cover letter, résumé, and three writing samples as a single PDF
- For further information about Trillium Health Partners Foundation we invite you to visit our website at trilliumgiving.ca.
- We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.