Posting Date: January 27, 2020
Closing Date: February 7, 2020
Our successful candidate will report to the Vice President, Philanthropy. They’ll inherit and lead a team; a Manager of Prospect Research, a Research Coordinator and a Development Officer. Our successful candidate will be focused on Major and Planned Giving growth, increased donor engagement, pipeline development and team leadership.
We’re looking for a team player as Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF) approaches philanthropy through the lens of a team. A ‘lone wolf’ personality will not thrive in this environment.
As THPF is about to embark on a large-scale comprehensive campaign, campaign experience will be preferred. Our successful candidate will have a proven track record in securing gifts of scale ($250,000+) from individuals, foundations and corporations. They’ll have brought in significant Major and Planned gifts for the organizations they have worked for in the past and will bring best practices with them to THPF. They’ll be a teacher and mentor and will be comfortable supporting and developing a team.
Our successful candidate will be entrepreneurial and fearless. They won’t mind cold calling when necessary and will happily take part in pipeline development. Ideally, they’ll have worked with senior volunteers and supported them in their fundraising efforts. The Director, Philanthropy will be a chameleon, easily molding themselves to their audience and delivering their message/ask in the most effective way based on the stakeholder need.
The Ideal Candidate
The Director, Philanthropy will build and manage a major and planned gift portfolio as well as lead, mentor, and motivate their team as they work to achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a results orientated fundraiser with a proven track record of delivering results and commitment to excellence.
- Be equally capable of cultivating and closing gifts autonomously, with a team member, or in concert with a volunteer or hospital leader.
- Be comfortable identifying prospective donors and cold calling when necessary.
- Have sophisticated relationship-development abilities to work at the highest levels of Foundation, Hospital, and community leadership.
- Thrive in ambiguity but bring rigor and structure to the team.
- Provide strong “team-first” coaching and mentoring to the team appropriately to develop and support individual and team goals, skill and confidence building and career progression.
- Be a collaborator, with a genuine interest in the opinions of others.
- Have proven story-telling success, including the ability to effectively develop the ask.
Have the ability to connect the dots between the need and the donor’s interests and objectives.
Be energized working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple deadlines and priorities.
Have strong business acumen and issue resolution skills with the ability to deal with situations in an open, objective and flexible manner.
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100 to 125 major gift donors with the capacity to make a gift of $250K, $500, or $1M+ toward a personal goal and team goal. Develop donor strategies designed to engage and inspire donors toward meaningful and impactful gift commitments.
- Complete donor calls and visits to identify, cultivate, solicit, steward and provide ongoing relationship management to donors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in third party community events, signature events, direct mail and monthly giving to advance donor relationships.
- Develop, lead, and implement annual and multi-year plans and strategies to achieve transformational growth.
- In collaboration with the Vice President, Philanthropy, provide leadership and accountability for the planned giving program.
- Solicit and secure planned gift commitments such as charitable bequests, beneficiary designations, gifts involving retirement plan assets and life insurance policies, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, and other outright and deferred planned gifts.
- Actively engage donors, understand their charitable and financial goals, and prepare charitable gift proposals for the planned gift vehicle(s) that will best accomplish those goals.
- Design and implement appropriate planned giving solicitation strategies.
- Provide exemplary leadership, direction, and mentorship to a team of fundraising professionals, in order to increase the impact and effectiveness of staff in advancing the campaign.
- Eager and able to contribute to advancing the organizational culture by embodying the team created “ICARE” philosophy: inspiration, courage, accountability, respect, and excellence. Oversee recruitment, retention, development, and performance of the team.
- Effectively and proactively work with senior level volunteers to identify prospective donors, secure meetings, close and steward gifts.
- Engage and coach volunteers in a meaningful way creating success and enthusiasm.
- Report back and keep volunteers involved, inspired and informed.
- Building the Prospective Donor Pipeline
- Provide leadership to the research team with a focus on assessing capacity and connections to the organization for the purpose of growing the Foundation’s prospect pipeline.
- Actively seek out new prospects interested in advancing the mission and success of THPF.
- Play a key role in working with volunteers, colleagues (Hospital and Foundation) and researchers to identify individual donor prospects; develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for those donor prospects.
- 8-10 years of major gift experience in a sophisticated philanthropic institution, ideally within a health care system.
- Demonstrated experience cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, corporate, and foundation gifts at the $250K – $1M+ level.
- Demonstrated experience and success managing, motivating, and mentoring development professionals bringing out the best in teams and individuals.
- Inspired and passionate about health care and the critical role philanthropy plays in advancing this sector.
- A positive attitude for self and team: anything can be solved; anything can be accomplished.
- A belief that opportunity can always be found in facing problems.
- The highest of personal and corporate standards – ‘good enough’ is never enough.
- An engaging personal style and a sincere interest in people.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of individual, corporations and other donors in order to develop mutually beneficial relationships with the Hospital and Foundation.
- Maturity, tact and diplomacy; excellent judgment and discretion; political astuteness.
- A reputation for integrity, and the capacity to build trust and to establish lasting relationships.
- Ability to navigate and be effective within a complex matrix organization that values collaboration and teamwork.
- Ability to think collaboratively and plan strategically as part of a team.
- Comfort working in a high energy, fast paced and results-oriented environment with a focus on results.
- Work may take place across the multiple sites of Trillium Health Partners and Trillium Health Partners Foundation.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Valid driver’s license and assess to a vehicle is required.
Learning Accomplishments/Fundraising Skills
- University or College degree.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation or working toward is considered an asset.
- Comprehension of donor management systems (Raiser’s Edge or RENXT).
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge and the opportunity to work with a great team for a very important, uniquely focused organization then what are you waiting for? Apply now!
We are committed to reflecting our country’s diversity and strive for inclusion. We are pleased to accept applications from underrepresented groups and encourage applications from Indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ+ community, new immigrants, and persons with disabilities. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Please send your Cover Letter, CV and Major Giving Chart (see appendix for format) to Hilary Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 7, 2020. Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted.