Mississauga, On – Premier and Minister of Health help share details of new Mississauga Hospital and major expansion of Queensway Health Centre
Today, the Government of Ontario confirmed its commitment to build two major infrastructure projects at Trillium Health Partners (THP) – the complete replacement of the Mississauga Hospital and an expansion of the Queensway Health Centre. The projects were included in the government’s 2021 Budget, Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy and represent the largest expansion of hospital services for Mississauga and West Toronto since the Credit Valley Hospital was built in 1985. This announcement is a key step in THP’s mission to create a new kind of health care for a healthier community.
These long-term redevelopment projects, known as Trillium HealthWorks – address years of growing demand for services that have outpaced investments. No other hospital in Ontario will have more demand for hospital services over the next 20 years than THP. But the addition of new hospital beds alone is not the solution. THP’s plan to create a new kind of health care for a healthier community means advancing health across the hospital, the system and the community.
Trillium HealthWorks will expand and replace aging hospital infrastructure. The projects, which will see an increase of over 600 beds across the organization, include: a new hospital at the Mississauga Hospital site to replace the existing aging 60+ year old facility; and, an expansion at Queensway Health Centre, that will include a modern, dedicated centre for complex care and rehabilitation services. This increase in capacity from the current beds recognizes the incredible growth experienced in this community. These projects will also help to relieve capacity pressure at the Credit Valley Hospital, and improve the patient experience across all sites.
Trillium HealthWorks also goes beyond hospital walls to include partnership projects that will increase access to important community-based services, beginning with long-term care. As previously announced, THP is leading the build of a new health centre on Speakman Drive in Mississauga. The first phase includes a 632-bed long-term care home that will be operated by Partners Community Health, a new not-for-profit organization focused on bringing health care services together around the needs of the people living in Mississauga and West Toronto. Future phases include a residential hospice built and operated by Heart House Hospice, and a health services building. Future opportunities include a partnership with Indus Community Services and Yee Hong Centre for Geriatric Care to build culturally appropriate long-term care.
In March 2021, the Ontario Budget committed funding for the THP broader redevelopment plan that includes:
New Mississauga Hospital
- Full replacement of existing hospital site, creating a modern health care facility to meet the growing and changing health care needs of this community, with over 950 beds
- New and expanded Emergency Department (ED) – creating one of the largest EDs in the province
- Surgical platform that provides flexibility to adapt to changing patient needs and new technologies, including an increase in the number of surgical operating rooms (from 14 to 23) with specialized equipment and advanced imaging systems
- New advanced diagnostic imaging facilities
- New pharmacy and clinical laboratory
- New parking structure
Queensway Health Centre Expansion
- Creation of a new, modern centre for complex continuing care and rehabilitation services where patients can receive care and recover in a purpose-built environment, with over 350 beds
- Retaining existing hospital facilities to continue to provide high quality care to this community
- New parking structure
THP is Canada’s largest hospital:
- Over 1.7 million patient visits annually – Canada’s largest provider of acute inpatient care
- No hospital in Ontario will face greater growth: the demand for services is projected to double in the next 20 years.
- No community has grown more: Over the last 20 years, THP’s catchment population has grown equivalent to the size of an entire city.
- THP cares for more inpatients than any other hospital: 7 times more acute inpatients than the average Ontario hospital.
- THP currently operates over 1300 hospital beds across multiple sites
- More than 277,000 visits per year to the Emergency Departments and Urgent Care Centre
- THP performs approximately 65,000 surgeries per year
- Over 8,600 babies delivered at THP every year
- THP serves a richly diverse community, with over half of people living in the community born outside of Canada, and more than 130 languages spoken here
“Our investment represents the single largest hospital infrastructure renewal plans in Ontario history. Our government is building Ontario and delivering the modern hospitals with more beds that our growing communities need today and for generations to come.”
– Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario
“Our government made a commitment to end hallway health care and build a better, connected health care system centred on the needs of patients. As we celebrate Trillium Health Partners’ 10-year anniversary, this new investment to support THP’s redevelopment is just one way we are delivering on that commitment. Together, we are ensuring that patients and families in Peel Region will continue to have access to the high-quality care they need and deserve for generations to come.”
– Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health
“This is an exciting day for Trillium Health Partners and for this community. Today’s announcement is an important milestone in advancing Trillium Health Partners’ strategy, as we work towards creating a new kind of health care for a healthier community, and deliver the care this community needs and deserves for years to come.”
– Michele Darling, Board Chair, Trillium Health Partners
“The redevelopment and expansion projects at THP will ensure we have the modern facilities and much-needed capacity to deliver high quality, exceptional care to this community for generations to come. I want to thank the government and our local MPPs for working in partnership with THP, and for this historic investment in the future of health care in this community.”
– Karli Farrow, President & CEO, Trillium Health Partners
About Trillium Health Partners:
Trillium Health Partners is the largest community-based hospital network in Canada. Comprised of Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital and Queensway Health Centre, Trillium Health Partners serves the growing and diverse populations of Mississauga, West Toronto and surrounding communities. Trillium Health Partners is a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and home of the Institute for Better Health.
About Trillium Health Partners Foundation:
Trillium Health Partners Foundation was formed in July 2013 upon the successful amalgamation of Trillium Health Centre Foundation and The Credit Valley Hospital Foundation. Together as one foundation, Trillium Health Partners Foundation is dedicated to raising the critical funds needed to address the highest priority needs of Trillium Health Partners.
For more information about Trillium HealthWorks, please visit https://trilliumhealthworks.ca
Twitter THP_foundation, @THP_hospital
Interim Manager, Creative Services, Media Relations and Digital Communications
Trillium Health Partners
Amit.Shilton@thp.ca / 437-237-2400